Be inspired. Stretch your mind.
Greybackground
HarvestlogoFinal

m17m20m23

The UK's first in-depth natural
Harvestgreenbackground
Harvesttaster


FREE
taster issue

when you join
our newsletter

Find out more

item1
item2

27 May 2015

Herbal help

Guest blog by Alex Martin

I never wanted to work in alternative medicine but fate dictated otherwise. I became ill at the age of 19 and, as the song goes, the drugs didn't work for me. I have a form of arthritis/fibromyalgia that flares up in an auto-immune response from time to time. I have to be careful not to get too angry, tired or even excited or the whole thing kicks off. However, I have the massive advantage of being a trained herbalist and am pretty much in remission most of the time. The doctors told me not to even carry a handbag and put me on Valium for the pain.

I have been an aromatherapist for the last 25 years, which is pretty physical work (but very rewarding). We have a big garden that I love to dig. I have a dog I walk every day and the joy of two children, now adults.

None of this would have happened without the help of my plant friends. The other day, after a busy, stressful time, I had a bad flare up out of the blue. I took various herbs including turmeric, devil's claw, sarsaparilla, rosemary and hawthorn. The effect was immediate, like taking painkillers, and the whole episode subsided within ten days. However my immune system then took it out on my delicate digestive system. Intuitively I knew I needed some aloe vera juice. Within two doses, my stomach started to behave itself.

Herbs - I couldn't live without them - but I also have a theory that to be well, we must also be happy. I don't think we can get that just from good relationships with friends and family, though that is vital. I think we also need to find a way to be creative. For me, that's writing. I've written four novels to date and when I'm not working with clients and plants I can be found scribbling away in my 'plotting shed' up the garden.

Alex Martin's herbal world can be found at www.gowerserenity.co.uk and you can discover her books on Amazon or from her blog at www.alexxx8586.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment